Sweet Italian Sausage
This homemade sweet Italian sausage is 100% free of funky, artificial ingredients you might find in the factory-made stuff. This recipe makes a large, 3-pound batch that can be portioned and frozen for later use but can easily be reduced to a 1-pound (1/3 recipe) batch.
What gives this recipe that special something is a winning combination of seasoning, combined with the natural fat of the pork, and the acidity of red wine vinegar.
Acid + Salt + Fat = Yum. (That’s a second-hand culinary school tip for you.)
My recipe below offers options for fresh garlic and onion for max flavor, but I also share dry measurements as a convenience option. I also applied a bit of heat to the seasonings to bring the flavors into full bloom. Although it contains red chili flakes, the sausage is still mild, and slightly sweetened with a touch of honey.
Full disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you choose to purchase a product using one of these links, it will support my work at no additional cost to you.
- This is delicious made with pork, or turkey.
- If you are going to make meatballs with this mix, I recommend adding egg and a gluten-free breadcrumb substitute. Without a binder, this mixture can be crumbly.
- To freeze: Form the mixture into 8-ounce (1/2 lb) portions, and freeze on a parchment-lined baking sheet until solid. Place frozen sausage portions in a large zip-top freezer bag. Seal, label, and date the bag. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw and use as desired.
Thyroid-healthy Recipe Highlights:
- A 3 ounce serving of pork contains 103% DV for tyrosine, 63% DV for selenium, and 17% DV for Zinc – 3 key nutrients for thyroid health.
- Garlic has many powerful healing properties and can aid or alleviate some of the symptoms of thyroid disease, such as inflammation, cardiovascular issues, decreased immunity, and increased infection. It can also support the liver in its detoxification efforts.