Hearty AIP Breakfast Bowl
Roasted sausages, red onions, and white sweet potatoes are bathed in a verdant detoxifying broth made from cilantro, bone broth, and kale. A fan of avocado slices and a pinch of fermented kraut put the finish on this ultimate POWER breakfast.
This recipe comes to us by way of AIP expert and cookbook author, Kate Jay. Here's what she has to say about this scrumptious recipe:
You may think that soup for breakfast is odd, but actually, it’s fairly normal in the AIP community. With the removal of eggs and cereal from the diet, it’s important to shift your perspective and see breakfast as being just another meal, rather than a stereotypical idea of how we’re supposed to be eating.
Soup is a perfect choice to break your fast, since it’s easily digestible and a simple way to pack in the nutrients needed to set you up for the day ahead. In this recipe, you’ll find a beautiful mix of protein, fats, and plant-based carbohydrates, which will curb any cravings and keep you on the straight and narrow until lunch time.
Full disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you choose to purchase a product using one of these links, it will support my work at no additional cost to you.
If you’re short on time first thing in the morning, partial-prepping the night before is easily done. For example, when the oven is on for dinner, cook your sausages alongside. While your veggies are cooking, you can steam the sweet potato slices for the next day. At breakfast time, you only need to sauté the sweet potatoes and onions and add the sausages at the end of the cooking time to reheat. I do not recommend making the green broth ahead of time as you will lose vital nutrients.
Thyroid-healthy Recipe Highlights:
- Sausages are your protein and yes, an ode to a more traditional breakfast* (See Note)
- Sweet potatoes are the AIP community’s favorite nutritious starch
- Herbs add both flavor and nutrient-density
- Kale is excellent for methylation (vital for ridding the body of toxins)
- Bone broth is rich in minerals and wonderful for gut healing
- Avocado is a delicious source of healthy fat
- Sauerkraut provides good bacteria to combat the bad
- Kelp flakes are one of the best sources of dietary iodine, which is crucial for healthy thyroid function. Just be sure to not overdo it on iodine-containing foods to avoid negative effects to thyroid health.
*NOTE: For strict AIP compliance, I recommend using a homemade sausage like this AIP Lamb Sausage. Storebought sausage often contains nightshades and other non-compliant ingredients. Black pepper, for example, is a Phase 1 reintroduction. Unless you have successfully introduced all ingredients in your clean storebought version, homemade is your best bet. It’s easy to throw together but you could also try asking your butcher to make some for you.