How to Choose Thyroid-healthy Cooking Fats & Oils
When it comes to choosing healthy cooking fats and oils, there’s a lot to consider:
First, there's the inherent makeup of the oil. Does it contain healthy fats?
Next, we have to consider how it was made. Was it processed using harsh chemicals or high heat?
Once we think we've chosen a healthy oil, we have to consider the smoke point, or maximum recommended cooking temperature for the oil. Is your chosen oil safe for your current cooking method?
Also, what do terms like refined or unrefined mean, and why do they matter?
And of course, there’s the issue of flavor. Not every dish is complemented by the taste and aroma of coconut, for example.
It can feel overwhelming, but the good news is that all it takes to make good decisions about cooking fats and oils is a little bit of knowledge. This is what we're going to cover in this episode of Thyroid-healthy Bites.
- Rules of thumb for choosing the right fats and oils
- Which oils to absolutely avoid
- Which oils are best for high, medium, low, and no-heat cooking
- Words to watch for on labels
- Myth-busting everyone’s favorite healthy fat: Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Scroll down for a list of my favorite fats and oils!
Full disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you choose to purchase a product using one of these links, it will support my work at no additional cost to you.
Disclaimer: This is for informational and educational purposes only, and in no way should be considered a substitute for professional medical advice and guidance. Always discuss diet and lifestyle changes with your doctor first.
- Download my FREE guide to Healthy Fats & Oils
- Olive Oil Redemption: Yes, It's a Great Cooking Oil by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Follow on Spotify
- Subscribe on YouTube
- Subscribe on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe on Amazon Music
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on the podcast page
Would you like these answers about healthy fats and oils laid out for you on paper, in a clear, no-nonsense guide? I’ve got you covered! My Simple Guide to Healthy Fats & Oils is designed to help you understand why healthy fats matter, how to choose healthy fats, and how to choose appropriate fats for various cooking purposes.
Free Download: The Simple Guide to Healthy Fats & Oils
My Favorite Fats & Oils
Want recommendations? These are some of the brands I enjoy cooking with.
- Himalayan Pink Salt Grass-fed Ghee by 4th & Heart
- 100% Pure Avocado Oil by Chosen Foods
- Macadamia Nut Oil by Ellyndale/NOW Foods
- Cage-free Duck Fat by Fatworks
- Pasture-raised Leaf Lard by Fatworks
- Organic Unrefined Sesame Oil by Spectrum
- Organic Extra Virgin Mediterranean Olive Oil by Spectrum
- Organic Cold-pressed Virgin Coconut Oil by Nutiva
- Roasted Walnut Oil by La Tourangelle
- Toasted Pumpkin Seed Oil by La Tourangelle
- Fresh Cold-pressed Flax Oil by Barlean's