Sesame Carrots with Kasha (Toasted Buckwheat)
Coconut oil adds healthy fat and sweetness to these tender carrots, while a kiss of sesame, ginger, and coconut aminos make this dish easy to love. The addition of toasted buckwheat groats, aka kasha (optional), adds sparks of texture and flavor to each bite, but you could also toss in some cooked short-grain brown rice for a similar effect. We lick the platter clean when I serve these alongside fresh grilled salmon, but any seafood or simple grilled meat will work well here.
Full disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchasing a product using one of these links will support my work at no additional cost to you. Please know that I only recommend products I use, believe to be helpful to my readers, and wholeheartedly stand by.
Thyroid-healthy Recipe Highlights:
- 1 cup of carrots contains 3.6 grams of fiber, which can help relieve constipation sometimes caused by thyroid conditions. They are also low in calories and a good choice for weight loss.
- 1 cup of carrots provides 428% DV of Vitamin A.
- Consumption of unrefined coconut oil has been touted for its benefits to thyroid sufferers.
- A cup of kasha or buckwheat groats has 4.5 grams of fiber and a very low glycemic load, which can aid in weight loss.
- Kasha or buckwheat groats provide 7% RDI of Tyrosine and 7% DV of Zinc, which are key thyroid-supporting nutrients.
Happy cooking, happy thriving, and enjoy the recipe (below)!
P.S. Need more thyroid-friendly recipe inspiration? I’ve got you covered. My Thyroid-friendly Everyday eCookbook features over 50 quick and easy, thyroid-friendly recipes your whole family will love. To take a peek at what’s inside, CLICK HERE.
More Thyroid-healthy Vegetable Sides:
- Herb Roasted (or Grilled) Asparagus
- Chex Mix-inspired Delicata Rings
- Green Beans with Mushrooms & Bacon
- Wilted Greens with Pine Nuts, Garlic & Golden Raisins
- Zucchini Pappardelle with Mushrooms
- Steamed Artichokes with Garlic, Lemon & Fennel Aioli
- Parsnip Sage Rissotto
- Mashed Winter Squash - 3 Ways
- Green Beans with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Garlic & Almonds